[PD] Bug Report/Feature Request: trigger should work like pack

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 06:33:07 CEST 2019

Someone brought it to our attention on FB, and it seemed like a legitimate
wart.

Thanks for remind me that unpack really does guarantee R to L fanout order.

You're right Alex.
It's not really my issue.
I have no real motivation.
I should have left it alone.

I think my root concern at this point is how trigger is overloaded.

if it only dealt with bangs, that makes much more sense.

If you are replicating a float on all outlets,
that seems to me an entirely different object!
That's got nothing to do with a triggee.
That's a float clone, or a symbol or list replicator.

When you add all those datatypes into one object, which you call trigger,
and allow even mixing datatypes (!!) as arguments to a single object (!),
well, IMO that produces some possibly very ugly code which does some really
odd things.

This is my new request,
and this is "mine" now ;)

Let's decouple that overloaded trigger
into more rational objects

bang-only trigger
float replicator/sequencer
List replicator/sequencer
symbol replicator / sequencer.
deprecate existing trigger.

Because I think

*[t b f l s 55] *

is VERY MESSED UP,
and *it's never going to so anything reasonable*, I can't imagine any
useful purpose for that,
allowing it will only confuse people, and make the language irregular and
harder to learn,

and thus it should be prohibited by syntax
 or at least deprecated.

IMHO ;)
BH