[PD] Bug Report/Feature Request: trigger should work like pack

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 07:13:42 CEST 2019

I agree [t b f l s 55] is rather messed up, but the usual use case is
something like

[t b b f b] or [[t b l] or [t a b] or [t b s b] - you get it, mixing
message types with bangs. I know I do this all the time and perhaps you do
that too.

Just because you can do crazy and unreasonable things, it doesn't mean the
object was designed for that.

And now we have a request to also include constant values, which can add
even more arbitrary and unreasonable possibilities, like in your example
with t b f l s *55*]...

I think there's an use case to initialize a patch and not need to have [t b
b b] and then connect the bang outputs to symbols and floats. So I can see
how it can be convenient.

Em seg, 15 de abr de 2019 às 01:33, William Huston <williamahuston at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> Let's decouple that overloaded trigger into more rational objects
>
> bang-only trigger

float replicator/sequencer
> List replicator/sequencer
> symbol replicator / sequencer.
> deprecate existing trigger.

Like I said, trigger is mostly used not as a bang only, but also mixing
with other message types. So I don't see how it would get deprecated. I
also don't see why creating several other objects since the trigger object
already does that.

I think your problems with trigger is that you haven't really gotten it
yet, it's actually a simple and quite versatile object. But simplicity can
lead to versatileness, but that doesn't have to be confused with being
complex and weird.

cheers