[PD] Surround sound systems?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 14:12:39 CEST 2019

> On Apr 27, 2019, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> I'm wondering, if I simply connect
> my laptop to it via an HDMI cable and set Pd to use HDMI for audio output,
> will I automatically have the ability to send specific channels of audio to
> any one of the 7 speakers?

This should work.

> Or would it require additional hardware or
> software? If so, what?

Probably not. It depends more on the hardware and any special drivers that might be required to use it with your OS. Pd only talk to the sound devices that are given to it by the OS. We have used Pd with RME MADI interfaces at work which address 64 or 128 channels.

Note, that you get the "raw" channels directly. Surround or ambisonic mixing is up to you.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>