[PD] 'Find externals' under Wine

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 29 14:39:32 CEST 2019

On 29.04.19 14:21, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 29.04.19 13:37, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>> Hey all
>>
>> When running either 32bit or 64bit Windows build of Pd under Wine on
>> Linux (amd64), I cannot install packages through 'Find externals'.
>> Either nothing is downloaded or - more likely - a .dek file is
>> downloaded, but immediately deleted without extracting it first. Though
>> the GUI indicates success (progressbar wandering to the right), no
>> traces are left afterwards.
>>
>> How can I investigate this some more? Are others having success with
>> such a setup?
>
> hmm, i can confirm this :-(

so the problem is, that on windows we need to run a VBScript to do the
actual unzipping. but wine doesn't support VBScripts out of the box.

a bit of duckduckgoing gave me [1].
after installing "wsh57", i get a bit further: while Pd/deken still
doesn't properly unzip the package, at least it notices the failure and
opens the file explorer at the installation location, prompting the user
to manually unzip the file (with a number of missing linebreaks...)

fgmasdr
IOhannes

[1] https://gist.github.com/Ravenstine/9ccbe8269e8d5d28305b