[PD] 'Find externals' under Wine

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Apr 30 09:54:56 CEST 2019

On 29.04.19 19:23, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> wonder if extracting fails because the downloaded file is renamed:
>
> osc[v0.2~git20181006](Windows-amd64-32).dek ->
> osc[v0.2~git20181006](Windows-amd64-32).dek.zip
>
> Somewhere a .zip extension is appended to filename, .zip files end up
> with .zip.zip.

afaict, wine fails to unzip because it simply doesn't come with a
built-in unzip utility (unlike proper windows). e.g. you (at least: I)
cannot unzip a zip-file in the wine-explorer by any means.

the reason why the files are renamed, is that the built-in unzip utility
on windows will only start working if it believes that the file it is
supposed to unzip is a zip-file. windows being windows, this means that
the file must have a .zip extension. So after downloading the deken
package, we just rename by adding a .zip extension (there's no check
whether the file already had a zip-extension (old-style deken packages),
that's why you get a .zip.zip extension; afaict there's no problem with
that, as windows still trusts that the file is a zip-file).

in any case, the file should be renamed back to the original name after
the unzip attempt (whether successful or not), so i wonder why you see
these files in the first place. (the time window where the .zip
extension is present should be pretty small for a failing unzip attempt;
it should definitely be gone once the exploder is fired up)

dmasr
IOhannes