[PD] Full stop '.' in class namespace

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri May 10 12:43:57 CEST 2019

On 5/10/19 11:49 AM, Julian Brooks wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a reason to not make use of a full stop in a namespace?
> E.G. [julianslib.dac~]?

a) there's no such a thing as a "namespace" in Pd.
b) the closest we have to namespaces is just filesystem-layout, meaning
you get a directory "julianslib/" and therein a file "dac~".
this magically gives you an automatic namespace separator "/" (as in
[julianslib/dac~])
c) directories are a nice way to keep contents of a folder managable.
it's usually easier to navigate an extra/ folder that contains (among
other things) a "julianslib" and a "zexy" directory (each containing
>100 library objects), instead of 100 julianslib.* files and another 120
zexy.* files.
you can of course put the "julianslib.*" files into the "julianslib/"
directory, thus forcing the user to use both [declare -path julianslib]
*and* a namespaced objectname.
d) when using single-object-per-binary externals (e.g.
julianslib.dac~.pd_linux), you need to take special care to construct a
proper entry-point symbol ("setup_julianslib0x2edac_tilde")

apart from that, i don't think there are any obstacles.
it certainly looks nice.

gsmdar
IOhannes