[PD] Delay (msec) option in audio properties

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Tue May 14 18:39:57 CEST 2019

Rough explanation:  Pd sets up two FIFOs, one for audio input and one for
output, and "delay" sets the length of those FIFOs.  I/O is managed so that
(in theory at least) the sum of the number of sample frames in the input
and the output FIFOs add up to the "delay", plus or minus one 64-saple block.

So theoretically at least, the total delay from audio input to output should
be the sum of three things: this number, the OS's internal audio latency
(which depends on all sorts of factors) and the A/D/A devices.

cheers
Miller