[PD] GEM camera input unavailable

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed May 22 09:38:49 CEST 2019

I forgot to mention in my quick reply:

If you are coming from Pd-extended, Pd vanilla does not include all of the myriad external libraries that Pd-extended did by default. There is, however, a simple package management system ("deken") which allows you to download and install pre-compiled external libraries. This is what IOhannes pointed you to with "Find externals."

Pd vanilla does not auto-load external libraries found within its search paths by default. Pd-extended did, hence included libraries like "Gem" worked without having to explicitly load them. Since Pd vanilla has no way of knowing what is there and what is not, the [declare] object is used to explicitly add search paths and load external libraries from a main patch. This is a similar mechanism to "include" or "import" in programming languages. It's an extra step but it helps ensure that it's obvious which libraries beyond the Pd vanilla core object set are required to run you patch.

Thus [declare -lib Gem] tells Pd to try and find an external library called Gem and load it. You may need the latest Pd vanilla release version for the to work correctly as there was some recent work with how libraries are searched and register their location with Pd.

> On May 22, 2019, at 7:50 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> declare is an object which needs to be added to your main patch which tells Pd to load Gem. You may need to save the patch, close, and reopen it for the loading mechanism to kick in.
>
> enohp ym morf tnes
> -----------
> Dan Wilcox
> danomatika.com
> robotcowboy.com
>

>> On May 22, 2019, at 3:30 AM, Dana Moser <rosalux at curiousart.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>> I installed Gem 0.94 and Pd still can't find a camera.
>> IOhannes zmoelnig gave me this suggestion:
>>
>>> 1. "Help" -> "Find externals"
>>> 2. type "Gem" and click on "Search"
>>> 3. click on the best (first) search result
>>> 4. load Gem in your patch with [declare -lib Gem]
>>
>> I followed steps 1-3 and installed Gem 0.94 with deken.
>> Video input still does not work.
>> Does anyone know how to do IOhannes's step 4?
>> How does one do "[declare -lib Gem]"?
>> Is this a message that needs to be passed to a patch?
>> Thanks for any assistance.
>> -Dana
>>

>>> On 5/21/19 6:02 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>>>
>>> Gem 0.94 solves this by introducing replacement plugins which use the
>>> newer AVFoundation macOS framework.
>>>
>>> --------
>>> Dan Wilcox

--------