[PD] https get in Pd

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Wed May 22 15:26:41 CEST 2019

Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-05-22 at 13:55 +0200, Nicolas Montgermont wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> What is the easiest way to get the content of a https webpage in pd,
>> for example this one:
>> https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/stations/CYDA.TXT
>> Is there any patch that can do this around?

also consider using those objects that command line executions:

WINDOWS: [system] (in the "motex" library)
LINUX & OSX: [shell] (in the "ggee" library)

you can get them via deken ("Help/Find Externals")

since those objecs are very basic and the syntax can be tricky (PD
doesn't allow backslashes for example) my way of using them is to
compose/write the command i would type into a shell/terminal into a text
file, save it, and then call it from within PD using above objects.

(backslashes or other special characters can be emulated with [list
tosymbol], if that fails consider using [binfile] from "mrpeach")

with this method you can pretty much do anything inside a PD patch that
you would be doing in a terminal.

best

oliver