[PD] https get in Pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed May 22 15:53:03 CEST 2019

https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/stations/CYDA.TXT
> > > Is there any patch that can do this around?
> > >

> also consider using those objects that command line executions:
>
> WINDOWS: [system] (in the "motex" library)
> LINUX & OSX: [shell] (in the "ggee" library)
>
> you can get them via deken ("Help/Find Externals")
>

> since those objecs are very basic and the syntax can be tricky (PD
> doesn't allow backslashes for example) my way of using them is to
> compose/write the command i would type into a shell/terminal into a
> text
> file, save it, and then call it from within PD using above objects.
>
> (backslashes or other special characters can be emulated with [list
> tosymbol], if that fails consider using [binfile] from "mrpeach")
>
> with this method you can pretty much do anything inside a PD patch
> that
> you would be doing in a terminal.

Yes, you can, but it is not portable (as it requires different
solutions depending on platform) and requires additional filesystem
interactions. Using [shell] (or [system] for that matter) has all kinds
of side effects, like [shell] searches scripts relative to Pd start
location instead of relative to Pd patch. I wouldn't recommend using
those.

Roman