[PD] https get in Pd

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed May 22 22:54:34 CEST 2019

On 5/22/19 9:59 PM, Martin Peach wrote:
> ...but deken does not have it for 64bit Windows it seems. I never seem to
> have the right installation ;(

well. Pd on W64 is *relatively* new.
the last purest_json upload is from 2017, which was before Pd on W64 was
a thing.
thomas is usually quite responsive if you nag him about things, and he
might just do an upload for W64 if you ask politely.
(afaict, the latest changes were exactly about making purest_json
buildable for W64; it seems only a release/upload is missing)

> Looking at the git (
> https://github.com/residuum/PuRestJson/blob/master/Makefile)
> there sem to be a lot of libraries involved. The makefile has:
>
> define forWindows
> ldlibs += -lpthread -lm -lwldap32 -lgnutls -lhogweed -lgmp -lssl -lnettle \
> -lssh2 -lgcrypt -lgpg-error -lcrypto -lws2_32 -lgdi32 -lcrypt32 \
> -lz -lunistring -lidn -lintl -liconv

well, encryption is not for the faint-hearted.
just imagine (re)implementing all the things those library kindly
provide. and that's before we even think of heartbleed and friends.

apart from that, purest-json does more things than just "ssl/tls", so
it's probably a bit bloated if you are just interested in https.

> It does look easier to just use Python for that stuff and let Pd do what
> it's good at.

sure.
to be fair to purest_json, in order to provide the functionality, python
also comes with quite a lot of dependencies (many more than purest_json).
you won't notice, because you "just install" python and then they are there.
but if you install the "purest_json" deken package, you shouldn't notice
either.

also, from an integration perspective, it's probably easier to just run
a single Pd process and do everything from there, rather than having to
make sure all the various applications are starting up automatically.
(otoh, doing http requests from within Pd will probably give you plenty
of audio hickups).

mgfdsar
IOhannes