[PD] db to phon conversion

day five day5ive at gmail.com
Tue May 28 22:56:34 CEST 2019

Hello Alexandre,

There is an instructive figure on the Wikipedia page for "Equal-loudness
contours."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour#/media/File:Lindos1.svg

This shows dB SPL (re: 0 uPa) by frequency for a pure tone / sinewave
input. If you want to convert a given dB SPL to its phon level you should
take care to ensure that your filter weighting matches with your norm
reference for phon level (i.e. A-weighting etc etc however the phons were
obtained). See also ISO 226.

Interpolation between phon levels is likely not linear as well. Note that
phon levels are a perceptual based scale of "loudness," which itself is the
perceptual correlate of sound intensity (a physical measurable quantity in
air, typically dB SPL.)

Because this unit is perceptually based, and is predicated using pure tone
presentations at 1 kHz, you will get different results: 1) when using third
octave or smaller bands (due to critical bands in hearing and nerve signal
summation at the brainsteam and cortex), and 2) with time varying or
modulated signals (such as the ISTS).

./d5