[PD] need help testing externals for mac_OS 10.6

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 12 11:17:36 CEST 2019

On 11.06.19 22:13, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Is anybody still using mac_OS 10.6 that could help me test if my ELSE
> externals are loading fine?

i did my test by loading the "All_objects.pd" file (unless otherwise
indicated). i used "-stderr" to catch error messages.
no other externals were loaded.
tests were done on a MacMini running OSX-10.6.8, with Pd-0.49-1
installed in the amd64, i386 and ppc variants.

some observations:
- the fat binaries don't contain PowerPC binaries (only i386 and amd64)
  (so they obviously won't load on a PPC variant of Pd)

- when loading more than ~140 externals, i get spurious shutdowns.
re-running usually make them go away (most often after the first
attempt, sometimes it takes longer).
i have no idea where these might come from. afaict, i don't get any
indication of an error (no printout, no error code).

- the following object make more serious trouble.
for testing i had temporarily removed the binaries of the problematic
objects from the else/ directory (with all the other externals still
there), and enabled them one by one:

[rec~]
-- on amd64, after loading this object Pd will stop to work: the patch
containing this object won't show up, Cmd-Q and the like won't do
anything (i get visual feedback that the keys were pressed, but they
don't actually do anything)
-- on i386 i get the following error:
~~~
pd(86904,0xa06de540) malloc: *** mmap(size=2511978496) failed (error
code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
pd: getbytes() failed -- out of memory
~~~

[shaper~], [table~]
on both amd64 and i386 i get an error
>  else/shaper~
> error: ... didn't return a patchable object

if i instead try to load the help-patch of the object, it seems to
always crash (on both architectures) with exit code 139

[wavetable~]
similar to above, although All_objects.txt almost *always* exit (with an
exit code of 139)

[wt~]
not on amd64, where i get the error:
>  else/wt~
> error: ... didn't return a patchable object

funnily enough i can load the "wavetale~-help.pd" patch on both
architectures (although i get the "not a patchable object" error in both
cases.

gfmasdr
IOhannes