[PD] [PD-announce] Vector Synthesis: a Media Archaeological Investigation into Sound-Modulated Light

Derek Holzer macumbista at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 12:19:14 CEST 2019

Dear Pure Data community,

I am currently running a publication fundraiser on Kickstarter for my
book VECTOR SYNTHESIS: a Media Archaeological Investigation into
Sound-Modulated Light.

The book describes my research into the military and techno-scientific
legacies at the birth of modern computing, and how early computer,
electronic media, and video artists of the 1950’s, 60’s, and 70’s
attempted to decouple these tools from their destructive origins.

It also presents my Pure Data software library and live performance
project which employs audio synthesis and vector graphics techniques to
investigate direct relationships between sound and image using analog
CRT displays.

The conclusion of the book reflects on how the project and the research
surrounding it has contributed to the larger experimental audiovisual
arts community through events such as the Vector Hack Festival.

Artists discussed include Mary Ellen Bute, Ben Laposky, Len Lye, Norman
McLaren, Desmond Paul Henry, James Whitney, John Whitney Sr., Dan
Sandin, Steina Vasulka, Woody Vasulka, Larry Cuba, Bill Etra, Mitchell
Waite, Rosa Menkman, Cracked Ray Tube, Andrew Duff, Benton C.
Bainbridge, Philip Baljeu, Jonas Bers, Robin Fox, Robert Henke, Ivan
Marušić Klif, Jerobeam Fenderson, Hansi Raber, Ted Davis, Roland
Lioni, Bernhard Rasinger, and the Kikimore group.

The book is 122 pages long, has 21 illustrations, links to several video
examples online, and was fabulously designed by Claire Matthews.

I’ve launched this Kickstarter to print and distribute the book to
people who have expressed interest, to get them to people who have
assisted in its creation, and just as importantly to send them to
organizations and schools who deserve one. Your support of this
publishing project will help make that possible.

Details can be found here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/macumbista/vector-synthesis-book

Thank you for your kind attention!
Derek Holzer