[PD] Any alternative to [poly] allowing dynamic number of voices?

matthew brandi mfbrandi at outlook.com
Wed Jul 10 15:05:10 CEST 2019

On 10/07/2019 05:40, Philip Stone wrote:
I’ve been using [poly] for a long time … the number of voices can only be set at creation time. I’d love to be able to change that dynamically … I know this will be glitchy, and don’t care — I won’t be doing it during audio output

Dear Phil

Apologies in advance for my stupid questions, but …

If — and it is a big “if” — you have only a small number of poly configurations to switch between and if as you say you are only doing it when no audio is being output, can’t you do this with a wrapper around multiple [poly] objects? Attached an example abstraction for switching between two different voice counts (it ignores out-of-range voice counts, but it might better take a configuration number at its right inlet); it stops all notes before switching to the new voice count, but that is not a problem in your use case, right? I am pretty sure you have thought of this already — almost certain, in fact.

That wouldn’t do if you were dynamically creating/destroying arbitrarily many voices, but then you could create/destroy [poly] objects, too, right?

That is not to say that being able to change voice count in [poly] wouldn’t be a useful feature, but if it were to be implemented, why not do it in a non-glitchy way (i.e. don’t clear the object, and stop the notes only for the voices removed when reducing the voice count)?

What kind of glitch did you have in mind, anyway?

Best

matthew brandi | 020 8882 4616