[PD] - need some assistance compiling an external for Windows

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jul 12 10:44:45 CEST 2019

On 7/12/19 9:15 AM, Scott R. Looney wrote:
> any tips on where to copy the folder so that the path is clearly given? i'm
> not 100% sure but i'm reasonably certain all my errors so far are path
> related.

i think this is all wrong.
you don't have to copy anything anywhere.
you shouldn't even think about doing that (where did you get the idea from?)

i *think* that you are just running "make" in the wrong directory.
you should run it in the "pd-plaits-master" directory (which contains
files like "plts~.cpp")¹

once you have installed the proper toolchain (make, compiler,...) the
*only* thing you might have to adjust is the location of your
Pd-installation (if you have installed Pd into a non-standard location)
via the `PDDIR` variable.
the standard installation location of Pd is in "C:\Program Files\" (for
64bit Pd) and "C:\Program Files (x86)\" for 32bit Pd (or some l10n
variation thereof). if you have installed Pd into this location (these
locations), then you don't need to worry about "PDDIR".
for a beginner, i would strongly suggest to use the standard installtion
locations.

you will need the a Pd installation of the same architecture you want to
compile for (if you want to build a 32bit external, you need the 32bit
version of Pd; if you want to build a 64bit external, you need the 64bit
version of Pd; if you want to build both versions of the external, you
need both versions of Pd)

~~~
1. download pd-plaits and unzip it
2. open the MinGW32-shell (for building a 32bit external) resp the
MinGW64-shell (for building a 64bit external)
3. change into the pd-plaits directory

    $ cd pd-plaits-master

4. run make

    $ make
~~~

this will create a "plts~.dll" for you (the name's the same for both
32bit and 64bit externals; if you want both, you should rename the 64bit
external to "plts~.m_amd64")

gfmasdr
IOhannes

¹ usually this would be the "pd-plaits" directory; but since you appear
to have downloaded the ZIP