[PD] - need some assistance compiling an external for Windows

Scott R. Looney scottrlooney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 11:07:07 CEST 2019

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:46 AM IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> On 7/12/19 9:15 AM, Scott R. Looney wrote:
> > any tips on where to copy the folder so that the path is clearly given?
> i'm
> > not 100% sure but i'm reasonably certain all my errors so far are path
> > related.
>
> i think this is all wrong.
> you don't have to copy anything anywhere.
> you shouldn't even think about doing that (where did you get the idea
> from?)
>
> i *think* that you are just running "make" in the wrong directory.
> you should run it in the "pd-plaits-master" directory (which contains
> files like "plts~.cpp")¹

i am absolutely running make in the correct directory. i installed the
whole msys2/mingw64 toolchain, i opened the shell for mingw64, and
navigated to my copy of the repo, which i downloaded as a zip, uncompressed
and moved into what i believed to be a convenient location under the
msys64/home/(username) directory

> once you have installed the proper toolchain (make, compiler,...) the
> *only* thing you might have to adjust is the location of your
> Pd-installation

Pd 64 bit is installed in its usual spot. nothing unusual there.

> ~~~
> 1. download pd-plaits and unzip it
> 2. open the MinGW32-shell (for building a 32bit external) resp the
> MinGW64-shell (for building a 64bit external)
> 3. change into the pd-plaits directory
>     $ cd pd-plaits-master
> 4. run make
>     $ make
> ~~~
>
> this will create a "plts~.dll" for you (the name's the same for both
> 32bit and 64bit externals; if you want both, you should rename the 64bit
> external to "plts~.m_amd64")

yup i have done all of this (the 64 Bit route) and i'm still not getting
anywhere. i understand i am a newbie to compiling but i really have tried
to follow all the directions correctly. all i can guess is that somehow
it's not looking for files in the active directory. the fact that Lucas
couldn't compile it either is i think significant and speaks towards a
non-standard compiling configuration on the repo. there's an Xcode project
file so perhaps he tried pd-lib-builder and then gave up and switched to
Xcode to compile it. i will say i ran all of this on my Mac using
mingw64/gcc and 'make all' with the Makefile.pdlibbuilder  and it created a
whole mess of object (.o) files but also created the .pd_darwin file
correctly.

i think i'll take Lucas's advice and compile something that should work
smoothly in order to verify that the method i've been following is sound.

best,
scott