[PD] Problems with oscformat (and oscparse?) and slashes

João Pais jmmmpais at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 19:15:05 CEST 2019

that is correct - but that will mean that for every new string, a new
oscparse must be created, in contrary to the current practice, where the
message has all the addresses in it.
2 other issues, but I can't reproduce them here:
- when I send an address with a number added to it, the external program
doesn't accept it. When I send the same message with mrpeach, it works. In
Pd (and even through unpackOSC) they look the same.
- when receiving the message "/output_1", oscparse doesn't process it in
the same way as mrpeach: the output in Pd is "symbol /output_1", and route
doesn't filter the content.

I didn't check the exact osc code traffic, maybe later I can do that.

Joao

Am Fr., 12. Juli 2019 um 18:18 Uhr schrieb Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu>:

> Hi Joao -
>
> I might be misunderstanding the problem, but to specify an address like
> "/parameter/bla" you can sen oscformat a list, "parameter bla" (the slashes
> are delimiters between the elements of the address, each of which is a
> symbol without any slashes in it.)  So you can simply send the message "1"
> to the object "oscformat parameter bla".
>
> cheers
> Miller
>
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 05:48:19PM +0200, Jo??o Pais wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm having some issues with oscformat and slashes ( / ). Many programs
> out
> > there use formats such as "/parameter/bla 1", but both oscformat and
> > oscparse don't really cope that well with them.
> >
> > For oscformat:
> > - it's not possible to send a string starting with a slash, the message
> > "oscformat: no method for '/aa' " appears.
> > - A hack can be done by sending a message [set /aa, bang( ...
> > - ... but this doesn't work if the message to send is /aa 1, as oscparse
> > will convert it to /aa/1
> > - defining an object as [oscformat /aa] seems to work, but it will mean
> > that another oscformat object has to be defined for each single string
> > being sent: /aa, /aa/a, /aa/b, ...
> >
> > For oscparse:
> > - when it receives a message with slashes in it, it removes the slashes
> > automatically. Which is kind of acceptable, if it's going to be connected
> > with a normal route. But not that much if the message is going to be
> worked
> > on, and resent.
> >
> > Or is there any other way of doing this? The documentation doesn't
> present
> > anything else. It took some time of screaming at the computer until I
> > compared the results with mrpeach's objects.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Joao

Manteuffelstr. 19
10997 Berlin (Deutschland)
Tel +49 30 74921288 | Mob +49 162 6843570
Studio +49 30 69509190
jmmmpais at gmail.com | skype: jmmmpjmmmp
https://www.facebook.com/jmmmpais