[PD] Zoom factor and font sizes on Linux for 1920x1080 screen

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 11:10:01 CEST 2019

Hi all,

I have found some oldish discussions about similar topics ('implementing
a zoom feature' was mentioned), so wondering what the current status for
higher resolution displays on Linux is.

I am, of course, referring to Pd Vanilla here.

In particular I am running XFCE and am able to get most stuff to display
comfortably by setting DPI through X [1][2] (with notable exceptions:
firefox and thunderbird directly in the applications, FLTK stuff - no
way...).

So I guess there are two distinct issues:

1. Menus and dialogs:

It looks like Pd won't pick up those X setting.
I was going to blame tcl/Tk but then another tcl/Tk software I use
(password-gorilla [3]) is correctly scaling up based (in this case) on
the xrandr setting (e.g. xrandr --dpi 125).

2. Canvas

The (relatively recent) Zoom functionality is nice of course, _but_
seems to be hardcoded to a 200% (?) value which (at least in my case)
makes everything way too bit too big (in terms of DPI I'm for instance
using 125).

Any ideas or hints much welcome.

Thanks,
Lorenzo.