[PD] best non linear envelope design?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 01:40:27 CEST 2019

Em sáb, 13 de jul de 2019 às 05:40, Christof Ressi <christof.ressi at gmx.at>
escreveu:

> Hey,
>
> > I actually know of two other adsr envelopes out there for Pd, both non
> linear, they are: bsaylor/aenv~ and creb/eadsr~ - both are hardcoded.
>
> attached you'll find my own personal envelope generator (cadsr~) which
> allows you to set the shape individually for each segments.

cool, but I only see 1 exponential parameter for all lines.

> Exponential segments take another argument to control the shape ( >0 fast
> rise, <0 slow rise).

and its minimum value is "1".

For a "natural" envelope generator, like those found in analog
> synthesizers, you can use a 1-pole lowpass filter and change the frequency
> for each segment to emulate the behavior of a capacitor.

I see, makes total sense.

> with 5 time constants, the envelope generator will reach 99.3% of the
> target value. Note that the target value is always approached
> asymptotically and - at least in theory - never fully reached.

I see, so that's what asymptotic means then. The bsaylor/aenv~ object says
it's asymtotic, so I bet it uses the same 1-pole design (I'm yet to check
the code). Anyway, I was able to make envgen~ get to a pretty close
curvature to your patch with a time value of "5". I used an exponential
value of 4 and that did fit reasonably well. I don't thin the difference is
perceivable in any significant way. So I guess I'm going with that approach
to the design of my hardcoded adsr~ exponential setting.

Thanks