[PD] Question about transmission order to serial port [comport] with two independent streams

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Sun Jul 14 14:59:46 CEST 2019

Hi there,

I need to send both display data and MIDI out data to the same serial port
via USB using [comport] going to an Arduino Micro.
The MIDI goes on to the serial transmit pin and the display goes to the I2C
pins.
Unfortunately neither the display nor the MIDI data is very predictable
concerning timing.

The display uses drip to send one character after the other and MIDI is
sending out manipulated data from the MIDI input whenever MIDI comes in.
Both senders are on different sections of the software and are not
synchronized in any way.

Since I need to find a way to split up each stream inside of the Arduino
without meshing them up and causing errors my question is:

Does Pd send one message (or packed numbers) with two or more values without
interruption?
If yes I could simply prepend an unused number (like e.g. 253 or 254)  as a
header in front of each MIDI Byte.
If needed another one for the display data.
(The latter is probably not necessary since I can reset after each MIDI Byte
inside of the Arduino to keep sending again to the display.)

Meshing up MIDI and display data would be absolutely chaotic!
If I can't guarantee that each Byte goes to the correct destination I will
have to use two separate arduinos.

Thanks!
Ingo