[PD] readanysf~ on osx 10.14

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 11:11:46 CEST 2019

When the compiler, linker, etc print an error message, the first thing I suggest is to read it and try to figure out what it *might* mean, regardless of whether you know all the details or not. :)

You were able to build it, great. It looks like Pd was able to find and try loading it, but loading failed, ok.

>> Symbol not found: _clock_nanosleep
>>   Referenced from: /Library/pd/readanysf~/libgavl.1.dylib

If I can translate, I believe this is saying "hey, I loaded the external but the library it's using (libgavl) refers to a function I don't know about (clock_nanosleep). A quick Google search shows this is probably due to the library trying to use a Linux API function that is not available in the Windows API and not provided by Mingw:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5618736/c-mingw-ctime-nanosleep-not-found <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5618736/c-mingw-ctime-nanosleep-not-found>

Did you build libgavl yourself? If so, you might have missing a compiler define which probably bypasses calling that function on Windows. If not, the the library needs to fixed which is beyond the readanysf~ source files.

> On Aug 7, 2019, at 10:37 AM, Nick Burge <nburge at virginmedia.com> wrote:
>>
>> Next challenge. having placed the readanysf~ folder into /Library/pd and trying to launch it I get the following in pd console:
>>

>> /Library/pd/readanysf~/readanysf~.pd_darwin: dlopen(/Library/pd/readanysf~/readanysf~.pd_darwin, 10): Symbol not found: _clock_nanosleep
>>   Referenced from: /Library/pd/readanysf~/libgavl.1.dylib
>>   Expected in: flat namespace
>>  in /Library/pd/readanysf~/libgavl.1.dylib
>> /Library/Pd/readanysf~/readanysf~.pd_darwin: dlopen(/Library/Pd/readanysf~/readanysf~.pd_darwin, 10): Symbol not found: _clock_nanosleep
>>   Referenced from: /Library/Pd/readanysf~/libgavl.1.dylib
>>   Expected in: flat namespace
>>  in /Library/Pd/readanysf~/libgavl.1.dylib
>>
>> What could be going on here? best regards, Nick

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>