[PD] 8 channel circle panner, how?

Dudley Brooks dbrooks at runforyourlife.org
Thu Sep 12 19:39:57 CEST 2019

On 9/12/19 6:35 AM, Winfried Ritsch wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 11. September 2019, 01:01:01 CEST schrieb Dudley Brooks:
>> A quick question, of purely academic interest:
>>
>> In theory, wouldn't it be possible to get 3D spatialization with just
>> four speakers arranged in, say, the corners of a tetrahedron, such as
>> one directly above and three in an equilateral triangle below the
>> listener's "horizon" (i.e. the plane of the listener's ears)?  I'm sure
>> that six speakers would be preferable -- maybe fewer "dead spots"?
>> But, strictly speaking, four could do it, right?
> yes,
>
> ... done 1951 with pupitre d'espace, even with 3D-Soundcontroller, the
> function of controlling a weigthed Amplification matrix like done in
> Ambisonics, so you can use it as Ambisonics 1st order,.. ;-).
>
> see https://books.google.at/books?
> id=psKyCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA205&lpg=PA205&dq=pupitre+de+espace#v=onepage&q&f=false
>
> mfg
>   winfried

Thank you, Winfried!  I was sure it was possible.  Mathematically, four
non-coplanar points allow you to define three axes which span 3D space.
The tetrahedral placement I described gives you one speaker above your
ears and three below, so that up and down are defined; one in front (and
below) and two behind (and below), so that front and back are defined;
and one left (and behind and below) and one right (and behind and
below), so that right and left are defined.  Thus any (x,y,z) can be
specified, and Ambisonics can translate any (x,y,z) into this speaker
placement.

Perhaps there are "dead spots" because of the shape of the coverage of
the individual speakers.  I don't know anything about that aspect of the
problem.

-- Dudley