[PD] installing pd via apt-get

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Sat Sep 21 10:34:49 CEST 2019

* Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com> [2019-09-21 10:09]:
> Em sáb, 21 de set de 2019 às 04:25, Peter P. <peterparker at fastmail.com>
> escreveu:
>
> > On my Debian System I installed the package pure data.
> >
> > $ aptitude show puredata
> >
> > will tell you that "This is a metapackage that depends on all components
> > of the core of Pd".
> > and corresponds to Pd vanilla, but is being broken up into several
> > packages.
> >
> > Don't tell your apt(itude) to install suggested packages automatically.
> > This is why it wants to install externals which you don't need.
> >

> hmm, ok, this seems to be it.
apt and aptitude (just another apt frontend) can be configured to
install "suggested" packages or not. See these program's documentation
on how to do it, eg. by typing "man apt" or "man aptitude".

> > It should only install packages that "puredata" depends on. Which these
> > are can be seen with above command for example. None of these include
> > externals apart from the ones included with vanilla. See the
> > documentation of your package manager to diasable the "suggested"
> > packages.
>

> it might be clear that I'm completely clueless on linux and I'm just using
> it because I want to know how to work with Pd in Linux and test my
> externals in linux. So, where is this documentation?
Have a look at what a package consists of and depends on helps a lot,
eg. using the aforementioned "aptitude show" command.
Don't be afraid, these package managers are incredible and immensely
powerful but also take a bit of experience.