[PD] [SPAM] [pd~] and sharing sample tables

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Sun Sep 22 14:35:17 CEST 2019

hello,

Le 22/09/2019 à 13:49, Ingo a écrit :
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have 3 questions about using the [pd~] object in an efficient way.
> I'm trying to spread some heavy sample voices over multiple processor cores.
>
> 1)
> How can I read from common sample tables (or other parameter tables as well)
> without having to load all sample (1 GB of samples) multiple times?
> In the back of my head I think I heard about a "share memory" library but
> couldn't find anything so far.
have a look at shmem, in deken.

> 2)
> How can I assign a specific [pd~] process to a certain core?
> Or does Pd automatically assign a new [pd~] process to another core?
> It would obviously not improve anything if both patches were running on the
> same cpu core .

This is what the OS is made for. In my experience, it just work.

> 3)
> Is there a way that the [pd~] subprocess can receive the [send] objects
> directly from the main process without having to resend each individual
> send/receive object to the inlet of the sub process and without having to
> build a receive object and then resend it by prepending a header that can
> resend everything within the sub process?

No.
but this workaround can be nicely hidden in an abstraction.
you can create a [mysend] abstraction that is composed by a [send $1] and a [list prepend $1] connected to a [send to_my_pd_tilde_object] etc...

> I'm having a fairly large amount (185) of sends/receive objects and tables
> (way more than 10,000 tables!).
> Anything that might cut down the work and makes it more efficient to run
> would be great!

you can search and replace all "send" to "mysend" on a pd patch using any text editor.

cheers