[PD] stability of PD on Windows?

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Fri Sep 27 20:26:59 CEST 2019

In pd's regular scheduler, the main thread computes audio and pushes the samples to a lockfree ringbuffer. The actual audio callback runs in a different thread and polls samples from the ringbuffer as needed. This mechanism is important for Pd because the audio thread performs many unbounded operations which are not real-time-safe. This is a consequence of its deterministic architecture.

On the other hand, an application like supercollider has very strict rules about what shall be done on the audio thread, so audio can be computed directly in the audio callback. Non-realtime operations are performed asynchronously in a worker thread. Both threads communicate via a lockfree command FIFO. One could say that Supercollider's architecture is indeterministic. This indeterminacy can be partially overcome by scheduling commands in advance using timestamps. So there's again a trade-off between latency and accuracy.

Christof