[PD] [GEM] advices about midi latency ?

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Mon Oct 7 12:28:30 CEST 2019

> reduce pd audio buffer to 3

generally, you shouldn't run audio in the video process (unless you really need it). if you don't use audio (DSP is off), there is no need for latency and therefore the buffer size doesn't have any effect (in fact, a different scheduling mechanism is used where the message system is ticked every ~1ms). This means you should get MIDI input as fast as possible with low jitter. So turn DSP off in your video patch!

> all I want is to optimize midi latency

1 frame at 60 fps is 16 ms. MIDI latency shouldn't be your bottleneck. If you really want to minimize graphics output latency, then you would need to run at a higher framerate, assuming your hardware (monitor, projector) is capable. But what is your actual problem? Is it about your video output *noticeably* lagging behind your MIDI input?

> - tcltk could also be a problem because I have big patches

the Pd GUI runs in another process.

Christof