[PD] difference between log level and -verbose flag?

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Mon Oct 7 13:18:46 CEST 2019

Hey,

> is there a specific reason the log level in Pd's console and the
> -verbose flag do different things?

I think the idea of -verbose is to "enable" posting messages at log level 4. "verbose(1, ...)" only sends to the GUI if "sys_verbose" is true. Note that the log level passed to the "verbose" function starts at -3 instead of 0 (don't ask me why...), so "verbose(1, ...)" actually results in log level 4.

I think this is meant as an optimization to avoid spamming the GUI process with super verbose output. The thing is that code like "if (sys_verbose) post(...)" should really be replaced with "verbose(1, ...)".

BTW, I could imagine adding a new "-loglevel" flag which mirrors the GUI's log levels and filters the console output accordingly when running Pd with -nogui or -stderr.

Christof