[PD] declare not posting library loading message while object creation does?

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Mon Oct 7 14:50:42 CEST 2019

Christof Ressi wrote:
>> And this was sarcasm too.
>
> damn, my sarcasm-O-meter failed miserably...
>
>> I was using [declare -lib hid] because this is how I load libraries in general.
>
> "-lib" is only needed for multi-object-per-binary libraries, e.g. zexy and iemlib. [declare -lib hid] doesn't do anything useful, the external will be loaded anyway when you create it the first time...

but only if the external is within a given serach path on PD startup.

i guess Peter was saying that he only loads libraries/externals
explicitly when they are needed. (which is a good practice for testing
purposes or prior to posting/sharing patches)

in the case of [hid] (or [hidin] on windows) it would be [declare -path
hid] though, since (as christof correctly said) it's a single external
rather than a multiobject library (like ZEXY, IEMLIB, IEMMATRIX, GEM).

best

oliver