[PD] compiling externals for Pure Data windows

Henri Augusto Bisognini msndohenri at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 22 17:00:41 CEST 2019

You're truly a hero. I found tackling into PD code very difficult, especially for someone not used to C.

INSTALL.txt and msw/README.txt were the shining stars that gave me hope haha

Also src/changelog.txt was particularly helpful.

------------------- original source notes -------------

0.  structure definition roadmap.  First, the containment tree of things
that can be sent messages ("pure data").  (note that t_object and t_text,
and t_graph and t_canvas, should be unified...)

------------ BFFORE 0.35: ---------
m_pd.h     t_pd              anything with a class
          t_gobj          "graphic object"
              t_text       text object
g_canvas.h
              t_glist      list of graphic objects
g_canvas.c        t_canvas    Pd "document"

------------ AFTER 0.35: ---------
m_pd.h     t_pd              anything with a class
          t_gobj          "graphic object"
              t_text       patchable object, AKA t_object
g_canvas.h           t_glist     list of graphic objects, AKA t_canvas

... and other structures:
g_canvas.h  t_selection -- linked list of gobjs
         t_editor -- editor state, allocated for visible glists
m_imp.h     t_methodentry -- method handler
         t_widgetbehavior -- class-dependent editing behavior for gobjs
         t_parentwidgetbehavior -- objects' behavior on parent window
         t_class -- method definitions, instance size, flags, etc.

Like when you're getting into PD source you come with the "pd end-user/programmer terminology". Okay, let's find a struct that describes a "patch". Then you look for it and don't find a t_patch or something. Only later you finally realize what you're looking for is a "glist" which is also aliased with "t_canvas".

Then there is stuff like "t_object" and "t_text" and also "t_rtext" and  "t_gobj" hahah

That little description on CHANGELOG.txt was not meant to be a introduction to those structures - that was kind of an accident.
Maybe we could have a file giving a brief introduction on how PD works. Maybe we could open a git repo like the externals-howto<https://github.com/pure-data/externals-howto>.
I imagine that over time it would increase collaborations on the PD source 🙂

Cheers,
Henri.