[PD] messages into [bp~ ] audio input trigger impulses?

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Mon Nov 11 17:49:57 CET 2019

Pd does automatic float to signal promotion on all its signal inlets. The only*) possible exception is the main (= leftmost) inlet, if the class has a dedicated float message (very few objects do).

BTW, sending floats to filter objects can be quite useful, e.g. you can use [lop~] as an exponential ramp generator, unlike the linear ramp generated by [line~].

> Furthermore, the help patch for signal arithmetic objects says, that
> they accept numeric messages into their right inlet if a numeric
> argument hast been supplied. It seems this is not (always?) required.

I think this stems from the old times when Pd didn't do float to signal to promotion on all signal inlets. Note that while you can send floats to the right inlet of [+~], this still adds two signals. On the other hand, [+~ 5] adds a signal and a scalar, which is more efficient.

Christof

*) some objects try to seperate floats from signals even on auxiliary signal inlets, but this can only be achieved with tremendous hackery.