[PD] What's the easiest way to cut various symbols to a fixed length?

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Wed Nov 13 12:12:41 CET 2019

This looks like a nice and compact way. I'll have to compare this to my other
solution.

I'm reading out the connected MIDI interfaces upon connection by monitoring
the /dev/ folder with [hcs/folder_list] every couple seconds.
Whenever a new midi device gets connected I use a [shell] with [aconnect -i(
to read out the names and IDs and send them with the midi input number of Pd
to an lcd display while connecting it to the Pd MIDI inputs.
So whenever I connect a midi device I know where it comes in.

In the next step I will make every of the 4 MIDI Ins in Pd that I'm using
assignable to a specific midi controller in order to have them always the same
each time I start up or change a MIDI controller. Some controllers need
different handling than others.

Unfortunately every manufacturer uses different ways for naming - with or
without spaces and/or extra infos.
So I'm reading the first two elements of the name.
Then I cut off the first character ' and split the name before the second '
which is where the name ends and additional descriptions may start.
Since I have currently 11 characters available for displaying I need to
extract the full name (possibly with spaces in between) as one symbol and cut
it off before it wraps around to the next dislay line.

Ingo