[PD] Msys build problems

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 12:15:54 CET 2019

> On Nov 28, 2019, at 6:39 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:

>   - No mention of autogen.sh in install.txt

It is listed in the *general* for using the auto tools build, which are the same for all platforms:

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/INSTALL.txt#L40 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/INSTALL.txt#L40>

The platform subheadings then list platform-specific options, build configurations, etc. I did not feel it make sense to have the same general steps repeated for each platform.

Should we add some sort of "Now that your build system is setup, follow the general auto tools build instructions." line to the Windows subsection?

>   - No C compiler in msys2 by default. pacman -S msys/gcc was the correct
>   one (after a few tries).

gcc is one option, however the suggested packages include clang (mingw-w64-x86_64-clang) which is also sufficient:

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/INSTALL.txt#L311 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/INSTALL.txt#L311>

>   - Failed trying to link OSS. Tried ./configure --disable-oss - but no
>   other midi or audio APIs found, and s_audio.c still looked for OSS.

Clearly the configure step has failed and I'm glad to see it was something simple, based on your following emails. I didn't realize the build relied on specific folder naming on Windows and we should take a note of that. The reason why this was not discovered earlier is that most people use git clone which names the folder "pure-data" while downloading the zip from Github adds the "-master."

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>