[PD] "good" phasor~ in B16.long-varispeed.pd not looping?

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Mon Jan 6 01:09:48 CET 2020

> I think it would be super nice if PD could have a 32 bit integer datatype.

Double precision Pd gives you 52-bit integer precision out of the box. Some scripting languages actually use doubles internally as the only number type, e.g. JavaScript, Lua (up to 5.2),

> Perl has something Larry Wall calls "transmogrification".
> In Perl, there is just a single Scalar data type, which can be internally represented as a string, float, or integer.

This just sounds like a glorified tagged union and I don't think this is much different to Pd's atoms. Pd certainly *could* add integers to the set of possible atom types, but see below.

> It would probably require a major architecture change.

Yes, and a highly unlikely one :-). If I'm not mistaken, the original Max had integers (and recent Max/Msp certainly does), so it has been an intentional decision by Miller not to use integers in Pd.

Christof