[PD] Any problems else/blocksize changing subpatch blocking during dsp?

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 07:57:18 CET 2020

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 4:34 PM Alexandre Torres Porres
<porres at gmail.com> wrote:

> hey folks, what exactly do I need to do then?
>
> can you open an issue on https://github.com/porres/pd-else/issues?

It's a choice--depending on what your intended behavior is, you might
go one way or another with it

I had just observed that I could use "blocksize~" with "switch~" for a
patch I'm writing.  I wanted to have a subpatch always run with 2x its
parent blocksize and overlap 2.  And with a [switch~]/[blocksize~]
pair, I can very easily do that.  I can set the blocksize with a
single parameter and it sets the proper mode for the sub-patches, or I
can just make an instance of it (with no arguments) in an existing
reblocked parent and have it inherit its blocksize.  It works exactly
as I want.

It's not a bug---nothing's broken as far as I can tell.  But I think
there is indeterminacy as is.   I wasn't sure, so I just hedged by
bets by delaying the messages. got the job done.  Then I came back
around to ask the question what it might do and what might break if a
patch actually sent messages to a sub-patch

So, I guess the thing to do (if you're interested) is add the signal
inlets/outlets to blocksize~ so you can specify the order of the "dsp"
methods.  Then, you could reliably investigate what happens when you
start using the blocksize to change patch behavior while the graph is
being built

If you're not *so* interested in figuring out how to break Pd, you
might just add the delay code.  It at least resolves the determinacy
issue and prevents users from stumbling into errors