[PD] recent Pd versions on older ubuntu studio computers

info at hansroels.be info at hansroels.be
Fri Jan 17 14:16:13 CET 2020

great, it works, thanks !
I followed your advice of the "dh_autoreconf" package and the adapted
debian/rules file and then I could successfully compile Pd 0.50 on both
laptops (and on a third laptop with Linux Mint 17.3).
In case someone searches info to compile and install recent versions of
Pd on older Ubuntu computers I summarized the whole procedure at the end
of this email.

Can I help in some way to spread or upload compiled Pd versions for
Ubuntu and derivatives? For sure I am not an expert in compiling
programs, I just started trying this a week ago but maybe it can help in
making Pd available for more people...

best, Hans

------------compiling Pd for Ubuntu 14 or 16 systems
First make sure these 5 packages are installed (commands in the terminal
like "sudo apt-get install libjack-jackd2-dev" etc.):
libjack-jackd2-dev  portaudio19-dev equivs debhelper dh-autoreconf

Next execute these commands in the terminal:
1)   export LANG=C
2)   MAINREPO=https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/
3)   PDVER=0.50.2-1
4)   sudo apt-get install devscripts
5)   mkdir -p build
6)   cd build
7)   dget -u ${MAINREPO}/p/puredata/puredata_${PDVER}.dsc
8)   cd puredata-${PDVER%-*}
9)a)   echo 9 > debian/compat
b) in the build/debian folder, search for the 'control' file and in this
file change "debhelper-compat (= 12)" into "debhelper (>= 9)"
c) in the build/debian folder , search for the 'rules' file and change
"dh $@" into "dh $@ --with autoreconf"
10)  sudo mk-build-deps -ir
11)  dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
12) sudo dpkg -i ../*${PDVER}_*.deb