[PD] font issues/questions, and also discrepancies between operating systems

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 05:48:29 CET 2020

Em sex., 24 de jan. de 2020 às 01:03, Lucas Cordiviola <
lucarda27 at hotmail.com> escreveu:

> Here there's a search for a base font :
>
> https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/tcl/pd-gui.tcl#L468
>

> Here there's some font settings per OS :
>
> https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/tcl/pd-gui.tcl#L284

What I see here is that it defaults to 'DejaVu Sans Mono' and always finds
it. So if you try to load a general font for all of PD that the system
can't find, then it just uses 'DejaVu Sans Mono' instead. So yeah, I
believe Pd defaults to 'DejaVu Sans Mono' and finds it, but eve so, it
seems rendering is not 100% - But that wasn't my main question, I just
wanted to confirm this.

I tested on Linux and it couldn't find 'Times' or 'Helvetica' and it did
default to 'DejaVu Sans Mono'. Now, what I'm asking is what happens when
you choose  'Times' or 'Helvetica' for a GUI label. I know it doesn't find
it and that I don't have it, but it loads pretty similar fonts that are
not  'DejaVu Sans Mono'. So my main question is how can we learn what font
is actually being loaded in these cases.

Moreover, when I try to load a non existing font in cyclone/comment, it
does load some font that I have no idea which one it is, and it seems to be
different for each platform - how can I find this out?