[PD] font issues/questions, and also discrepancies between operating systems

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jan 24 20:48:05 CET 2020

On 1/24/20 3:38 AM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Hi, I've been updating and fixing cyclone/comment and I realized Pd loads
> similar but different fonts depending on the operating system.

before you investigate on what Pd might possibly do wrong, please
consider (and answer) the following questions:
- how do wide-spread text editing applications (e.g. MS/Open/Libre
Office) handle this?
- how do even more wide-spread text reading applications (browsers)
handle this?
- how do graphic applications (e.g. photoshop/gimp) handle this?
- how do typesetting applications (e.g. Indesign/Illustratur/Inkscape)
handle this?

test all of them on multiple platforms and multiple installations of
each platform (as used by real people; not just pristine installations).

can you name a reference application that handles fonts "correctly"?
what does this reference application do to achieve this?

mgfr
IOhannes