[PD] font issues/questions, and also discrepancies between operating systems

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jan 24 22:33:35 CET 2020

On 1/24/20 10:07 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> My best/ideal solution is if I could make cyclone/comment say *you tried to
> load helvetica, but I loaded "x" instead*

https://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl/TkCmd/font.htm#M5

that was the first hit i got when searching for "tcl get information on
current font"

>. Now, apparently this is handled
> internally via tk,

actually no.
this is done on an OS-level.

*most* software that deals with fonts will simply ask the OS's
font-manager to give it a certain font, and the font-manger will return
a handle to a "close-enough" font.
that's a good thing, as applications don't have to worry too much about
which fonts are available on a given system (fonts are really hairy
regarding licenses).
most fonts only cover a small range of available characters (e.g. only
characters used in "western" scripts), so picking a sepcific font might
turn some glyphs into the famous square symbol.
to somewhat fix this, the OS's font-manager will mix various fonts for
you, so if you have at least one font with kanji support, you can still
use your limited default font and use "it" to display both portuguese
and japanese.

gmds
IOhannes