[PD] Fwd: Re: sending lists via [comport]

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Sat Feb 1 01:11:35 CET 2020

Hi,

> How do I get Arduino to send the complete values as integers instead?
> And, how can I tell [pd] when a new data set of e.g. six values begins?
Short answer: you need a protocol. Someone already mentioned SLIP. For
Pd there is an external called [mrpeach/slipenc] resp. [mrpeach/slipdec]
and for Arduino there are libraries like
https://github.com/bakercp/PacketSerial or https://github.com/CNMAT/OSC
(see SLIPEncodedSerial.h).

Please read the following to understand the problem which SLIP and
similar protocols are trying to solve:
https://github.com/bakercp/PacketSerial/blob/master/docs/BACKGROUND.md

It doesn't have to be SLIP, though. You can use any encoding/protocol
you like as long as both sides agree :-) I've even (ab)used MIDI because
it is quite compact and rather easy to parse.

Christof