[PD] compiling hidio for Windows

ffdd cchh camarafede at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 18:38:41 CET 2020

You are right! I now have undefined references only on hidio.o:

hidio.o: In function `hidio_write_event':
Z:\Desktop\hidio/hidio.c:357: undefined reference to `hidio_write_event_symbols'
Z:\Desktop\hidio/hidio.c:336: undefined reference to `hidio_write_event_ints'
Z:\Desktop\hidio/hidio.c:347: undefined reference to
`hidio_write_event_symbol_int'
hidio.o: In function `hidio_setup':
Z:\Desktop\hidio/hidio.c:643: undefined reference to `hidio_devices'
Z:\Desktop\hidio/hidio.c:644: undefined reference to `hidio_elements'
hidio.o:hidio.c:(.rdata$.refptr.hidio_elements[.refptr.hidio_elements]+0x0):
undefined reference to `hidio_elements'
hidio.o:hidio.c:(.rdata$.refptr.hidio_devices[.refptr.hidio_devices]+0x0):
undefined reference to `hidio_devices'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [Makefile:267: hidio.dll] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/z/Desktop/hidio'
make: *** [Makefile:303: all-recursive] Error 1

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 12:17 PM Martin Peach <chakekatzil at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure but I think -lhdi should be -lhid, since it's a human interface device library.
> See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/hid/introduction-to-hid-concepts
>
> Martin
>
> On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 12:04 PM ffdd cchh <camarafede at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Martin, Christof,
>>
>> thanks both. Still no luck.
>>
>> I managed through steps a) b) and d), with the exception that I could not add "-lhdi", as it appears to not be installed here. Is that pointing to this: https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/hdi/index.html ?
>>
>> The log now points to *many* undefined references on mostly hidio_windows.c and on hidio.c (which I suspect is my missing step c), for which I did not have time)
>>
>> I attach the log here again.
>>
>> I have hit a brick wall here so I will not pursue this further unless there are other instructions I can follow.
>>
>> Thanks for you help,
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> fd
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 10:52 PM Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The order of .o files doesn't matter. It's shared and static libraries which sometimes have to be specified in a certain order.
>>>
>>> The actual problem was that
>>>
>>> a) hidio_windows.c used _WINDOWS instead of _WIN32 as a guard around the whole code, so hidio_windows.o was empty.
>>>
>>> b) then there was a wrong header (<ddk/hidsdi.h>  instead of <hidsdi.h>)
>>>
>>> c) some methods are not implemented, so I copied the dummy implementation from hidio_linux.c. It seems like those methods are only relevant for OSX.
>>>
>>> d) there were missing linker flags "-lhdi -lSetupAPI".
>>>
>>> Also, I couldn't get the autotools makefile to work, so I just compiled manually on the command line. Finally I got a binary :-)
>>>
>>> To be honest, I don't think that anyone ever compiled this code on Windows, so it is probably untested. Anyway, when I have time I can clean this up and make a PR (or just fork it). Then we probably need some testing before we upload it to Deken...
>>>
>>> Christof
>>>
>>> On 01.02.2020 02:50, Martin Peach wrote:
>>>
>>> Line 76 of the log:
>>> gcc  -DPD -g -O2 -I/z/Desktop/pure-data/src   -mms-bitfields  -L/z/Desktop/pure-data/src -L/z/Desktop/pure-data/bin -L/z/Desktop/pure-data/obj   -s -shared -o hidio.dll hidio.o hidio_types.o   hidio_windows.o  -L/src -L/bin -L/obj -lpd
>>> hidio.o: In function `hidio_tick':
>>> Z:\Desktop\hidio/hidio.c:513: undefined reference to `hidio_get_events'
>>>
>>> hidio_tick is in hidio.o, which has compiled successfully.
>>> hidio_get_events is in hidio_windows.o, which also exists; but the linker is linking three .o files, and hidio_windows.o is the last one.
>>> Perhaps switching hidio.o and hidio_windows.o in that gcc command will let the linker find the symbols before they are needed.
>>>
>>> Martin

>> --
> [...]

fdch.github.io