[PD] PD Vanilia / Gem / Deken (Dan Wilcox)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Feb 3 14:03:01 CET 2020

On 2/3/20 1:53 PM, Jérôme Abel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think a part of my question (How to share Pd.0.50 and Gem 0.94 on
> Linux ?) was quite the same.
>
> I understand that the suggestion is to use "apt" instead of deken on
> Linux. Just for Gem ? The other libraries seem to work fine with deken.

use "apt" (or whatever package manager comes with your distribution) for
everything you can.
it is simply better.

> On my Xubuntu machine, "apt" shows older versions of Pure Data
> (0.48.1-3) and Gem (0.93.3-13), even if I install pd-deken-apt.

yes. that's expected.
apt *guarantees* that the (apt-)installed version of Gem will work with
the (apt-)installed version of Pd.
this is something that deken simply cannot do.

for instance, try installing ofelia on a recent version of Debian or
Ubuntu via deken.

most externals are trivial (no external libraries; using only C with its
well defined ABI).
some are not, e.g. Gem (a largish number of external libraries; written
in C++, which has a not-so-stable and well-defined ABI).

for those complex externals, deken is just not good enough.

gfdsar
IOhannes