[PD] Sample loop - start and end point (WAV files)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 09:07:42 CET 2020

On Tue, 2020-02-11 at 19:55 -0500, William Huston wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 5:07 PM IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> wrote:
>
> > so *you* only need to implement whatever backend you want.
> > keep in mind, that Pd doesn't depend on any external library for
> > doing
> > the encoding/decoding, and afaict it should stay that way.
> > so you "just" need to implement mp3, ogg, wmv, flac,... from
> > scratch.
> >
> > good luck.
>
> What is your personal vision for what PD should be, IOhannes?
> What would you say are the core values of PD?
>
> Frankly, I consider this attitude arrogant, rude and offensive.
> Telling me what I "need to" do!!!

While I agree with some of your points, I think you are overreacting.
IOhannes didn't tell you specifically what to do, but stated what needs
to be done for a format to be supported natively in Pd. It seems there
is some agreement among many members that additional dependencies
shouldn't be added frivolously. Pd runs on many different platforms and
environments, as  Pd and libpd. This is possible due to its minimal set
of dependencies. IOhannes derived his statement from that fact.

What is more important is that Pd supports externals and nobody will
stop you from loading or playing mp3 with externals. Let me mention the
famous [readanysf~] [1] that supports whatever format you can think of.
Obviously, it depends on quite a large-ish framework.

Roman

[1] http://aug.ment.org/readanysf/