[PD] (Tcl) invalid command name message

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Feb 15 20:46:34 CET 2020

On 2/15/20 9:47 AM, andre rc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some problems with Pd 0.50 and Gem 0.94. Debian/1:0.94-1 (in
> Ubuntustudio 19.10)
> I got the following red message on pd window:
>
> (Tcl) INVALID COMMAND NAME: invalid command name "::pdwindow::logp55fc7}"
>     while executing
> "::pdwindow::logp55fc7} 3 {[GEM:filmGMERLIN:video] Cannot skip backwards:
> Stream time: 30464 skip time: 28672 difference: -1792
> }"
>     ("uplevel" body line 2)
>     invoked from within
> "uplevel #0 $docmds"
>
> I still don't find the way to reproduce it but it happens sometimes when
> I'm using pix objects (video, film & shaders) with text2d. In other
> occasions there's no red message on pd window but the gui gets frozen:
> mouse moves but pointer doesn't change from edit mode, number boxes display
> same number but still send new values, also new objects doesn't visually
> appear even though they are created.

this might be a multi-threading bug, where the GMERLIN backend attempts
to write error messages while while other messages are being sent to the
GUI, thus creating garbage.
this would also explain why the problem is so hard to reproduce.

try running pd with the "-stderr" flag, and see whether the problem goes
away.

gmsda
IOhannes