[PD] samplerate~

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Feb 18 10:30:10 CET 2020

On 2/18/20 8:43 AM, Matt Davey wrote:
> Just wondering how cpu intensive the samplerate~ object is?
>
> Is it just receiving from a value inside of pd, or does it need to retrieve
> directly from hardware every time?

[samplerate~] reports the internal samplerate of the Pd process, and
trusts that the hardware and Pd agree on that (this is mostly the case,
but sometimes not; e.g. when a hardware/audio-API doesn't support the
requested samplerate and fails to report that back).

> We've been running into issues with [loadbang] to samplerate~ and having
> the rate change after our loadbangs, so were considering using [bang~].

[samplerate~] also tries to take resampling into account (as defined
with [block~])
i could imagine some glitches at loadbang time if you have a weird (that
involves changing the block-setup with [block~] resp [switch~])

remember, that a [loadbang] in a child-patch fires after a [loadbang] in
the parent patch (this is by design).
if you have a child-patch that uses [loadbang] to query [samplerate~],
and in a parent-patch you use another [loadbang] to change the
re-sampling, then the re-sampling will change *after* you have queried
the samplerate.

> Would that be reasonable, even if we might have to do it a few
> hundred times?

this seems like overkill.
you could try to call [samplerate~] whenever the DSP is turned on.
something like:

[r pd]

[route dsp]

| [loadbang]