[PD] [r pd-dsp-started] was: Re: samplerate~

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 10:37:27 CET 2020

I would also point out that internal messages such as pd-dsp-started don't really come with an expected behavior for user patches. Saying how it works is a "bug" belies that fact that I don't believe it was ever intended to be used for this and just because it can be grabbed via a [r] also doesn't guarantee anything. This is also why it's so hard to change almost *any* behavior within Pd as you can never really be 100% certain you aren't breaking someone's end use case.

> On Feb 18, 2020, at 11:57 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> If, say, you want to send one and only one bang to [switch~] so as to graph
> tables when DSP starts, then [r pd-dsp-started] is only useful if you
> spigot-out future bangs/saves/etc, otherwise you are graphing tables on
> every save...
>
> It's a feature if you use it for randomness, say, to randomize seeds
> according to when dsp on/off switching or graph redrawing falls, say linked
> with a [timer] object :)
>
> Perhaps [r pd-dsp-started] should only send bangs when dsp starts or stops,
> and not when the dsp graph is redrawn.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>