[PD] Delay circuit feedback DSP error-- only when signal path leaves abstraction

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 09:50:18 CET 2020

Hi, I've built a classic stereo delay using [delwrite~] and [vd~], and L/R
crossed feedback. This works!

Now, I want to insert an effect into the feedback path. (many possibilities
here: add some bitcrush, so each repeat gradually becomes more
distorted.... or a [hilbert~] type pitch shift, which might create
something like Shepard tones, etc).

*This works when everything is within a single patch or abstraction. *

However, when I try to allow the effect to be external to the abstraction
(like a SEND/RETURN insert on a mixer), when I try to complete the circuit,
I get "DSP loop detected".

The two circuits are essentially IDENTICAL!

This seems like a bug to me. Any ideas?

I've attached pix of both the high-level schematic, along with a demo
patch. (I can upload the actual patch if that would be helpful).

Thanks!
BH

William Huston:  WilliamAHuston at gmail.com
Binghamton NY

*Public Service Mapping / Videography / Research / Education / Safety
Advocacy*
Blog <http://WilliamAHuston.blogspot.com> -- Facebook
<http://facebook.com/billhuston> -- Twitter
<http://twitter.com/WilliamAHuston>-- Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGijK1amWOLglT3YeTyEBNQ?sub_congfirmation=1>
* -- Podcast Blog <https://billhustonpodcast.blogspot.com/>*
*Document collections*: VirtualPipelines
<http://TinyURL.com/VirtualPipelines> -- BHDCSDimockArchive
<http://bit.ly/BHDCSDimockArchive>
*Please support my work! -- *TinyURL.com/DonateToBillHuston