[PD] Delay circuit feedback DSP error-- only when signal path leaves abstraction

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 11:42:51 CET 2020

As far as I recall, going between abstraction to parent patch via inlet~/outlet~ introduces a block delay, hence no error

> Third patch is like the second, only the effect has been moved out of the abstraction, and into the parent patch. ONLY HERE do I get the DSP loop error.

Signal loop in a single patch without abstractions = error. Pd has no way to read and write to the same signal buffer in the patch at the same time *without* some tiny delay.

> The point is the last two patches have (or should have) an identical graph!

At the lower level, they don't. What happens if you put part of the path inside a subpath which uses inlet~/outlet~?

> On Feb 25, 2020, at 11:36 AM, William Huston <williamahuston at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> First abstraction, simple stereo delay:  2 delay lines, variable feedback L->R, R->L.
>  This works, no DSP loop error.
>
> Second abstraction contains an effect in the feedback path. (in my simple example, it's just a null wire: In-L passes to Out-L, etc). Again this works, no DSP error.
>
> Third patch is like the second, only the effect has been moved out of the abstraction, and into the parent patch. ONLY HERE do I get the DSP loop error.
>
> The point is the last two patches have (or should have) an identical graph!
>
> It really seems like a bug to me.
>
> I'll upload a test patch a little later.
>
> Thanks,
> BH

--------
Dan Wilcox