[PD] what happens when you send signals between 0..1 instead -1..1 to dac?

ffdd cchh camarafede at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 00:24:33 CET 2020

Hi everyone,

I just found out that I have sent signals between 0..1 instead of -1..1 to
[dac]  (!!!), and I am wondering... what happens in that case?

Does Pd take care of that in any way?
Or, Is that the job of portaudio/asio/jack?
Or, Is that the job of the audio interface?
Or, nothing happens and you just send non-negative values to a speaker?

I attach a minimal noise test patch to show this (I only hear a difference
in loudness on macos using portaudio and a motu...)

Thanks in advance,