[PD] Subprocess CPU core check

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 22:48:45 CET 2020

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 4:14 AM Max <abonnements at revolwear.com> wrote:

>  From what I know this is entirely under control of the system load
> balancing. So if the two Pd instances would run on the same core there
> would either be something seriously broken on your system, or you have
> other, even more CPU hungry processes running which are maxing out the
> other cores so that the system concludes that it's the best to have the
> two Pd instances running on the same core.
> A glance at the System Monitor CPU history graph should give you an idea.
>
> m.

you also have a few tools help you reduce/eliminate resource contention

The first is "nice" or "renice".  You can lower the priority of the
process that is less important.  Both will be scheduled by the kernel,
but you will reduce resource contention that affects your important
processes.

Second, you can bind processes to certain CPUs.  This is called "CPU
affinity" and it's controlled by the linux command "taskset".  This
looks like a fine explanation:
https://www.howtoforge.com/linux-taskset-command/
"cpuset" is a similar tool.  It's been a while since I've dealt with
"cpuset"s, so I can't tell the difference between "taskset" or
"cpuset" right now

Chuck